Friday, August 21, 2009

I meant to say about the man-woman from Montenegro that hir story also made me think about relativity, and perspective. That's been another thing we've had to keep in mind here, and that we learned a lot about in the Karin tribe's village. And on the trains.

I want to grab the man and shake him who offers to take my used baggie and beer bottle, and so casually tosses them out the moving window, into the landscape I can't stop admiring. That's wrong, I want to say, you shouldn't do that! But how can I? It was the same in Peru, everyone throwing their styrofoam meal plates out the back of the boat, a thousand rectangular snowflakes drifting slowly down into the Amazon River. That's wrong, I wanted to say, you shouldn't do that! But who am I to tell the people who've used this land for a thousand years how to do it better now?

But some good just seem universal, and not relative, and you just want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment